The Worldwide History of Beads
Since its first publication in 1987 as ‘The History of Beads’, this book has become the world’s definitive guide for bead...
Since its first publication in 1987 as ‘The History of Beads’, this book has become the world’s definitive guide for bead lovers, collectors and scholars.
In this new edition
• all chapters have been updated with the latest archeological discoveries
• a new chapter has been added on adornment since the 1980s
• 225 beads have been added to the remarkable eight-page gatefold timeline that guides readers through the rich history of beads
• the many maps have been modernized and are now in colour
• seventy images, formerly black-and-white, have been changed to full colour
• 200 new photographs have been taken specially for this edition
Beautifully packaged with a new cover, this revised and expanded volume is a must-have for devotees of the first edition and for the next generation of bead obsessives and aficionados. The latest revisions include an update on the oldest bead ever discovered, now dated to around 100,000 BC, and an explanation on why beads worn on the human body were the original media communication system.
Beads are far more than mere personal adornment. They have been used throughout the world as talismans, as status symbols, for religion and for barter. Every bead is a capsule of cultural information, containing a fascinating tale of the origins of its materials, its manufacture, its many uses, perhaps its travels, and its potent symbolism.